CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 6, 2009

Working Girl

Well, kinda sorta. :) I was puttering around on the internet Monday, and randomly came across a craigslist post for a part-time teacher in Alexandria schools. I've always wondered off-and-on why I didn't go into teaching...I remember herding my sisters into our playhouse every day when we were little, where we had desks and a chalk board, and giving them full days of "school". I'd prepare lessons, and homework assignments, and I even made lunch and library cards. (Yes, I've always been a dork.) Anyway, I sent an application on a whim, the next day I was meeting the director at a Starbucks, and the next day (yesterday) I was starting my first day of after-school tutoring, assisting another teacher with 4 students as part of the No Child Left Behind Act. Pretty cool, right? The pay is great...which is good, since I only work 2 days a week for one hour a day! And she assures me that getting time off for an anniversary trip won't be a problem. The school is like 3 mintues from our apartment. How's that for an awesome little set-up? I will say this, though...children these days are not quite as...sweet as I remember second graders being. :) It'll be an adventure.

I thought that extra mula would come in extra handy since we anticipated management hiking our rent by leaps and bounds when our lease expires in a couple months. We've been hearing horror stories, and have been a little stressed about the thought of having to leave our cute little home. We love it here. Well, the same day I got the call about the job, I got a letter from management, offering us a VIP Discounted Rent for current tenants! I was literally jumping around the living room with excitement. It's been a pretty good week.

All this happened the day after I started my diet (which hasn't been too bad!). I told Brian that the gluten-free diet must be good luck. :) Actually, we're just really, really blessed. Someone always seems to be looking out for us and taking an active interest in our lives, and we couldn't be more grateful.

Anyway, that's all from "Miss Amber" for now!

2 comments:

emily said...

Good for you!! I remember those teaching days...Ahhh, yes, the memories...I am happy things are going so well!! Love you! And don't be afraid to gives those little kiddies the "look"!

Anonymous said...

Wow so much good news...how wonderful! Yes, children are very different now, teaching school in Texas was much different than the students that I student taught while at BYU...fun times. So excited you will be able to stay at your same place especially since you just put so much effort into your new bedroom! Glad to hear the diet isn't too bad. :)