CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Misbehaving in Williamsburg


This weekend we hitched up the horses, loaded the carriage, donned our wigs and headed to Colonial Williamsburg for a weekend getaway. (Ok...so there were no wigs involved. We could have rented colonial costumes, but after the dalmatian stunt, I'll be lucky if I can get Brian to dress up as anything ever again.) We had a really great time. The leaves down there were just beginning to fall, and we loved getting pelted by them as we walked through a revolutionary town, crunching as we went. The colors were still amazing, and being in one of the first colonies was so cool. I hate to rip off my own past post, but as usual the mishaps made the memories, so here we go:


*The first day food seemed to be a problem. All I wanted on the drive down was an Arbys. I'm so easy, right? Wrong. We searched the signs at every exit, only to find no Arbys. Ironically enough, on our way home there were Arbys listed at almost every stop going the opposite direction. :) Oops. The good news is, there was an Arbys not far from our hotel, and after a beef and cheddar, we finished off our hunger with goodies from the 7-11 across the street.



*Ah, our lovely lobby. The night we checked in, we saw it a lot. We were in and out of our room searching for Arbys, going to the car, going to 7-11... I began to think the front desk guy must think we were nuts. So, when we had to leave the room the ka-gillioneth time in search of ice, we took a different hall, and a different elevator that wouldn't lead us past the front desk. It was pretty deserted, actually, as we waited to get back on the elevator.
Me: "I don't want to run into that little front desk guy again...he's gonna think we're crazy."
The elevator arrives. "So, we'll take this elevator in this nice, abandoned part..."
The doors open and I enter, "And....Aughhhhhhhhh!"
Standing in the corner...the front desk man. He looked at me like I was nuts (whether because I gasped and jumped, or because it was the millionth time he'd seen me in 1 hour I don't know), and Brian laughed his head off causing the "These people are nuts" look to become even more pronounced.




*This is me warming my buns by a colonial fire, with charming wood-paneling, in a quaint little tavern, where we had a tasty little lunch, served by a pleasant colonial lady. Now that I've painted a cute, picturesque scene, the real story: It POURED on us Saturday morning. And I mean POURED. Within 10 seconds we were soaked to the point that it seemed dumb to buy a $13 umbrella. So we laughed, sloshed to the tavern, ate lunch and then tried to dry out by the fire. It was quite chilly. :) The good news is, Sunday was gorgeous, and we finished our site-seeing in pure autumnal bliss.




*Take a close look at this picture. Notice anything...amiss? Like the keys dangling from the ignition? :) Yep. Saturday we were walking back to the car when Brian noticed he didn't have his keys. When we got to the car, whala. The first time he's ever locked his keys in the car. We were a bit stressed, but after remembering our road-side assistance insurance clause, we were able to laugh as we waited the half hour for the pop-a-lock guy to come. Hey...at least it wasn't raining!




*We went on a fun ghost tour of the town Saturday night. Unfortunately, we got put in a group with 9 year old girl scouts. Now, I love kids...and I can usually find them cute regardless of what they're doing...but these girls...wow. Just wow. They were so...questioning? curious? talkative?... that we actually had 2 or 3 families disappear from our group when other tour groups passed by. By the end, our herd was thin, but we still enjoyed ourselves, and learned some great history. (Keep this in mind ladies: If he wears a thick wig, with lots of curls, it's a good sign cuz it means he can afford it. Thus the term, "Big wigs...")





*Just on a fluke, we ventured into the Yankee Candle store in Williamsburg, and boy did we get a treat. Brian lists it as one of his favorite things about the trip--and no, it wasn't because of the yummy candles. It was like Santa's workshop! There was even a room where it snowed! Awesome!

Anyway, we had a great time on our last little fall outing. Now the Christmas bug is beginning to bite... we bought our tree yesterday, and I think ornament shopping is in store for today. Happy Holiday Season everyone!

4 comments:

emily said...

Yeah! I am so excited for Christmas as well....did you get a live tree? I totally want to this year, but I am not sure how long they last... Fun post!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip and it looks like many great memories were made. I love that you actually took a picture of Brian looking into the car to find the keys still in there. Too funny...glad that you were both able to laugh about it!

THE SANDERS said...

It looks like you guys had a fantastic time in Williamsburg. Sadly went there when I was twelve and didn't appreciate the beauty!!!

My parents also ruined it for my sister Lindsay and I by giving us the choice to go to Colonial Williamsburg or Six Flags, of course you know which one we chose... but our parents vetoed our decision and off we went to Colonial Williamsburg. I am pretty sure we acted like brats the entire time!!! I remember taking the same picture at the gallows (thats what you call the head chopper-offer thing right?) AHHH good family memories (ha ha ha) :)

V said...

Awww, I'm sorry about the keys, food, RAIN, front desk guy and girl scouts. (I totally understand about the girl scouts...that would drive me NUTS! But the background to the term "big wigs" is pretty fascinating.)
Dustinn & I are creating a list entitled "Cool places the Johnsons have been that we now plan on copy-cating." Hope that's okay. =)