CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 13, 2008

Picked a Peck


Red Delicious, and Golden and York! Oh my! Not to mention a couple of hard earned Granny Smith, some Romes, and lots of unknown apples we like to call "Hybrids" (Golden Delicious meets Granny Smith in a shaded, remote corner of the orchard, and well...the rest is delicious history).

We went apple picking at Hill High Farm this weekend, and it was such a fun day! Nothing says Autumn quite like driving into the Virginian countryside, with all the changing colors and cute little farm houses, turning off on a little dirt road that leads to a real-live farm, deciding between a peck a bushel or a half-bushel, and then spending a few hours walking up and down rows of apple trees searching for the best apples. We were a little bummed when we were told there were no more Granny Smiths--they're Brian's favorite, and I'm a sucker for an apple crisp that has a bit of a bite. But after hiking to the most remote part of the orchard, where either due to the gigantic hornets' nest or sheer distance no man but us dared to go, we saw 2 decent sized Granny Smiths up near the top of one of the trees. And up Brian went. I think he's part monkey. I, of course, snapped pictures thinking, "Ooooooooo blog." :)


After the apple picking fun, we strolled through the pumpkins, and had a glass of delicious apple cider at the little gift shop in the barn. Can we say fall? Fall, fall, fall, fall!!! Anyway, here's some of the pictures from our day at the farm:



I tell you, for someone who's not usually a planner, Brian sure has outdone himself lately. I believe we're on the path to making this the "fall of all falls". It will definitely go down in history, and might just be tough to match.

PS: Brian, I definitely think your tractor's sexy. As for mine, well...I guess it's not so bad either! :)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber...I think your tractor is way sexy! As for Brian and the monkey thing...I always kinda suspected something myself (he he he). Don't tell him I said that;)

Olivia Jane Designs said...

Are there things of this sort to do in Utah!? If so, why am I not there?!

V said...

How fun!
The leaves (in the tree Brian's climbing) are so vibrant! They're unbelievably colorful. Aw, I hope I'm not missing the best of fall while I'm out of state.

Matthew and Alisha Palmer Family said...

Love the pictures! I can't wait for the colors to start changing down here. I'm going to have to google apple farms and see if there is any near us!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. We always go apple picking and this year we have not gone yet...looks like tons of fun. maybe we can join you next year! Enjoy your apple crisp :0
danna